coccidiosis question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dekel18042, Feb 13, 2015.

1. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    If someone has had occurrences of coccidiosis in their flock, would it be safe to get eggs from them and incubator hatch them or would it be better to just get eggs elsewhere?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Cocci, as far as I know, cannot be passed to offspring. It's a parasitic infestation of the intestines that is treatable with Corid 9.6%.

Cocci is present in MOST backyard poultry operations, but the only time it gets out of control is if a chicken ingests too many oocytes (or ingests some she has no immunity to) and the parasitic load takes over. If they continuously have outbreaks, I would wonder why... That could be a biosecurity issue.

Mycoplasma, on the other hand, IS transmissible to offspring, survivors are silent carriers for life and CAN infect other birds, and it can wipe out your flock with bubby eyes and sadness in its wake. :( A flock with mycoplasma should be a CLOSED flock.

The chicks that come out of a Cocci-infested operation are *probably* safe to hatch and would welcome the TLC you would give them. :)

Then again, a person selling hatching eggs out of a flock that has constant Cocci outbreaks has his priorities out of order, m'thinks.

Or am I overestimating the outbreaks?

MrsB

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Cocci are passed in feces. If the shell has feces on it or the incubator is feces contaminated, it might be best to look elsewhere.

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Quote:(Listen to this guy. MrsB)

5. dekel18042

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info. Not sure how many outbreaks they have had, just that they treated for it. They have a breed my husband was interested in, but when he heard this he was very leery. I thought maybe if I hatched the eggs in my incubator, carefully cleaned and disinfected after each use, it might be OK, but we've decided to just hatch our own eggs. Think I'll join the Easter hatch- a-long and later if any of my hens go broody, let them try their luck at hatching.
    Better safe then sorry.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you have a Trader Joes in PA? They sell fertilized eggs here in CA.

-Kathy

7. dekel18042

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    We don't have any Trader Joe's, but we do have several stores that sell organic fertile eggs. It's just that the eggs in question were a breed my husband was interested in adding to the flock.
    I can easily hatch eggs from my own chickens as there are several color combinations I'm aiming for and have all the parents in place, just waiting for the weather to get warmer. That's probably the safest way to add to the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by