Coccidiosis treatment and fluid resuscitation help!

Jjdesmo11

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2017
Tennessee
Throwing the kitchen sink at my bantam salmon Faverolles. I admit I probably let it go to far because my birds don’t usually show bloody poop. I noticed 6 days ago after I had separated my cockerel and pullet on my porch with a cozy coop heater that although I had been treating for coccidiosis with Corid in thd water I was seeing no improvement. I moved them inside so increase their heat and start orally drenching with Corid. That day I also started tube feeding. I only have a 30 ml syringe. So I did that w warmed pedialyte. Then again w exact parrot food. I’m following @casportpony protocol for fluid replacement. I started tovsee color change on his comb and interest in food so I only tube fed one day I believe. I got generic Baycox yesterday and gave day 5 Corid orally and Baycox orally 0.2ml (1.2lb bird). Today I stopped Corid because I’ve been giving for about 10 days! And gave 2nd dose Baycox and added liquid b vitamins to water. I decided to tube feed again tonight. I’m at a loss. Slow progress but looking for help from anyone but particularly @casportpony because your threads are what I’m following. Thx

Attachments

• F1EEE0DA-158C-458A-A4AC-80359F609F51.jpeg
    F1EEE0DA-158C-458A-A4AC-80359F609F51.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 1303EF95-F435-4AC2-96C7-C98D8E4A4DCE.jpeg
    1303EF95-F435-4AC2-96C7-C98D8E4A4DCE.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 4B0F63FF-2F29-4619-8A5A-CDCCB1EAAF3B.jpeg
    4B0F63FF-2F29-4619-8A5A-CDCCB1EAAF3B.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 38946B81-596C-4553-B72B-87B3184396C0.jpeg
    38946B81-596C-4553-B72B-87B3184396C0.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 7
Corid treats coccidiosis, unfortunately it can worsen the condition before it gets better. Corid can also prevent the digestive tract from absorbing nutrients. I add liquid infant vitamins and ensure that there is Selinium in their diet to assist with absorption.

A little Tumeric and/or ginger powder will reduce inflammation.

Stop the Corid.

I hope this helps.

Corid treats coccidiosis, unfortunately it can worsen the condition before it gets better. Corid can also prevent the digestive tract from absorbing nutrients. I add liquid infant vitamins and ensure that there is Selinium in their diet to assist with absorption.

A little Tumeric and/or ginger powder will reduce inflammation.

Stop the Corid.

I hope this helps.
Can you list any references to the theory that Corid does all those things? Corid works by mimicking thiamine (vitamin b1) in the coccidia organism, so we should not give extra thiamine supplements, which are in all vitamin supplements. I have never read where Corid does anything to prevent the digestion of nutrients. Now coccidiosis will definitely cause damage to the intestines, which in turn affects absorption of nutrients.

I would give the vitamins since I just reread that you have completed 10 days of Corid. Can you give info on how old he is, and if there has ever been any illness in the flock that might be affecting him? Have you wormed him recently, and with what? My faverolles were always the lowest in pecking order, so could he have been kept from food and water by any others? Is he your only rooster? Is his crop emptying by morning? What do his poops look like?

Thank you! Since I stopped Corid I gave b vitamins yesterday. What other vitamin’s should I give to help? He’s about 4 months and his poop is green and white ( not eating or drinking enough). The rest of the flock is fine. 6 days ago when I bought him and his gf in I dewormed w valbazen orally. I believe 0.2ml. He is my only rooster. And I was watching them outside and he seemed to be getting food fine. My crew is mostly under dogs 😂. Cochin, D’Uccle, favaucana. I always struggle w coccidiosis in my bantams. Glad I got the Baycox. Can I give Baycox more than 2 day? Thx

Can you list any references to the theory that Corid does all those things? Corid works by mimicking thiamine (vitamin b1) in the coccidia organism, so we should not give extra thiamine supplements, which are in all vitamin supplements. I have never read where Corid does anything to prevent the digestion of nutrients. Now coccidiosis will definitely cause damage to the intestines, which in turn affects absorption of nutrients.

I cannot. Please read my bio.

I would give the vitamins since I just reread that you have completed 10 days of Corid. Can you give info on how old he is, and if there has ever been any illness in the flock that might be affecting him? Have you wormed him recently, and with what? My faverolles were always the lowest in pecking order, so could he have been kept from food and water by any others? Is he your only rooster? Is his crop emptying by morning? What do his poops look like?
Also his crop empties in the morning. He seems to be wasting away. I will keep crop feeding. Just wondering if I’m missing something. I ended up getting another bantam Faverolles roo. I don’t want him to die. I love this breed but I’m loosing hope

Back
Top Bottom