coccidiosis treatment available near Seattle?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Snack Giver, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Snack Giver

Snack Giver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    Sorry if this seems like I didnt my own research but I need help quickly. One of my birds has dripping diareah with blood in it and she seems tired and sad. This has been since yesterday. I think she has coccidiosis. What can I do? Is there an over the counter medicine i can go buy today? I live in north Seattle/shoreline. I'm really upset. Wife is worse. Thank you in advance. I must go to work now but will check this board again in 3 hours. Thanks. Mike

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Sulmet and corrid can be used I believe you can buy it at a local feed store or at TSC. Sulmet should only be given for 3 days and I think its like 2 teaspoons to a gallon of water. Corrid is the best way to go but sulmet does the job too. Also apple cider vingar can be givin and yogurt works wonders too. I am battling it now also.

3. Snack Giver

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    OK I found Sulmet drinking soultion at the Bothell Feed. They also had medicated seed that is for coccidiosis. The sulmet you put in their water. I have done this. My little hen is so sick, I was wondering if I could maybe dip a couple worms in Sulmet right now just to get her started sooner than waiting for her to drink. Can anyone tell me why that might not be advisable. I just want her to drink the medicine and she's not that interested. She would eat 2-3 wet worms right now though! Thoughts?

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

You have to be careful with the dosage with Sulmet. If you did the dipped worms, you don't know how much she's getting. You can accidentally poison them.

You'll have to feed the mixture to her using a dropper if she won't drink of her own accord. Again, its tricky because you might not get enough into her or you could give her too much. I believe Corrid is a little less tricky to use but since you have Sulmet, that's the advise....watch the dosage she intakes.

The medicated feed is more of a preventative (and plenty of chicks still get it while on the feed), it won't help cure her. What it does is it suppresses Thiamine because Cocci thrive on it. Personally, I'm not a fan of denying my chicken Thiamine just to keep some bacteria from becoming happy. Would rather watch their environment and feed ACV in their water.

Wishing you luck! [​IMG]

5. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    I am having the same problem and found one of my Pullets dead in the pen this morning. I'm very upset, since they seemed fine until yesterday when I noticed one of the girls seemed depressed. I had noticed a few poops with blood over the last two or three days. Hindsight is 20/20. I should have de-wormed them and gotten them on Corid IMMEDIATELY! Don't just think they are going to eat and drink the Corid. If you do a search of the Forum, you'll see past posts that are excellent. I de-wormed all of them today (Ivermectin topically, 5 drops alternatively under the wings on the bare areas), mixed up the prescribed amount of Corid - bought mine from a large Animal Vet, added Raspberry Koolaide for palatability - the med can be bitter and they love the color red, syringed some into their beaks. This can be tricky...you have to be careful it doesn't go down into their lungs. I put a few drops at a time in the lower beak and made sure they swollowed before giving more. I isolated the sick ones in a dog crate. Another suggestion is to make a "mash" with milk, yogurt, Koolaide a little of their mash food and add the Corid. This was also on the Forum. After that I added the Koolaide and Corid to their water. This needs to be changed daily. Be proactive now before you lose any, they can die very quickly!

Featherfanciers.com has a site where you can ask a Poultry Vet a question. I found an EXCELLENT article on the site entitled "Understanding Coccidisosis" Ihighly recommend you find and read the article.

Good luck!

6. Snack Giver

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    ok she wouldnt eat the worms anyways. i dipped a handful of corn in a water+sulmet solution and she ate 4-5 kernnels. I now am going to use a dropper to give her the correct combo of water+sulmet too. Her little rearend is so filthy form diareah she is just miserable. Is it ok for people to give out hens a quick bath (like a doggy bath)?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Go ahead and bathe her if you must, but keep her warm and don't let her drink the bath water or she may not get thirsty enough to drink medicated water. With sulmet she should improve in 24-48 hours. Make sure the medicated water is all she has to drink and she will drink it. I personally would not make food med cocktails and such because if you diluted the med's right in the water, she should get a proper dose per her weight via average consumption. Good luck!

8. Snack Giver

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    WOW!!! OK she has worms. After her bath we were drying here and she litterally pooped out about 5 little worms, crawling/inching on our kitchen floor. really shocking and disgusting. I feel so bad for this little bird. Did I misdiagnose her condition or are worms a part of the coccidosis? Could she have both? Thanks

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She can have both. Cocci is a protozoa that lives in all soil and is always present. Most healthy chickens are essentially immune unless they are sick otherwise (such as worms).

10. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Back to Bothell Feed for a wormer! If you're not sure of the type of worm you've got and which wormer to get, take some of those worms with you. Oh won't they love that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by