Coccidiosis Treatment - didn't work????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RabonCrew, Jul 10, 2016.

1. RabonCrew

RabonCrew Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    Hi, everyone! A few weeks ago, we had an incidence of coccidiosis. We have 10 spring chickens, so they are getting bigger, but still young. I started noticing runny stools. Some were watery, some were lighter in color and unformed. I watched it for a couple of days and noticed that one of the chickens was isolating herself. The next day I saw her drop a bloody stool and found 2 more in the coop. We did our research and Backyard Chickens helped us to find the treatment course based on the symptoms! We even consulted a local vet. The one chicken looked horrid for a day - closed eyes, drooped tail, lethargic, but still drinking. We started the treatment that day - Corid 1 tsp per gallon of water. I cleaned the coop and run, put down fresh chips and made sure all the chickens were drinking the medicated water. Our thought was - they'd all been exposed, so all needed treatment. I did the Corid treatment for 8 days, followed by 3 days of a probiotic and electrolyte treatment.

The very next day after the initial day of treatment, I was thinking I'd wake to find her dead in the coop because she'd been looking so sick the previous day -- but was pleasantly surprised to find she was chipper and back to herself! She even jumped up on my lap and onto my shoulder as if to say 'thanks', which was a huge surprise, as she was always one of the more nervous of our chickens. I was so happy!!

All has been well since then, however I have been noticing more loose stools and just today, found a bloody one again. I haven't noticed any odd/isolative/lethargic behavior from any of the chickens & I am unsure who dropped the bloody stool.

Here are my questions:
    1. Could it be that the treatment didn't work??
    2. Could it be that I have a different problem going on??
    3. Should I treat with Corid again??
    4. Should I worm them as well??
    5. If I need to do both treatments, can I do both at the same time??

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!!
    These are some examples of the abnormal poops I've found:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RabonCrew

May 2, 2016
    Is anyone out there seeing this thread?

3. SweetandSavory

SweetandSavory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    In botany expert by any means but the 1st pic looks like intestinal shedding, 2nd looks like cecal, the 3rd is suspect. Depending on liquid or powder corrid I think your dosage may have been too low. I use 1 1/2 tsp of powder per gallon for 5 days and I have had to do it more then once. I would treat again if it was me.

4. RabonCrew

May 2, 2016
    I was thinking the same about the 1st pic. I'll do some research on cecal. Thank you for your advice! Do you think it should be a consideration (in terms of dosage) if my dry grain feed has a preventative medication against coccidiosis?? When we first started to administer, I was a tad worried that we were 'over treating' -- so I am relieved to hear you think I should up the dose.

5. SweetandSavory

SweetandSavory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    I'm sorry I can't help you there. I don't use the medicated feed. I hate to say it but it obviously didn't work. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by