1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coccidiosis Treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SCHenny, Jun 1, 2016.

1. SCHenny

SCHenny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    Tuesday morning, I found one of my four pullets which are about 6 weeks old had red bloody poop. They are all very alert and acting normal. The red bloody poop is the only sign....... I immediately started all four pullets on Corid 9.6% - 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water. I know that I am to treat with Corid for 5 days.

I have read that I should follow up with sulfadimethoxine about 10 days later. I have not been able to find sulfadimethoxine anywhere (not locally or online).

My question is...will the Corid 9.6% for those 5 days be enough treatment? If not is there anything else that I need to purchase as a follow up?

Thank you in advance

2. SweetandSavory

SweetandSavory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    I'm no expert but have only treated with corrid for the 5 days and it has worked for me.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

Dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

When they finish the Corid offer some poultry vitamins in the water for a few days, and a bit of plain yogurt for probiotics.

Can you provide a reference link where you found the recommended to follow up with sulfadimethoxine?

4. SCHenny

Nov 18, 2013
    Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I can not find the correct post about treating with sulfadimethoxine as a follow up. It was here on Backyardchickens but My bookmark disappeared. I read so much information on treatments that I can not go directly back to the post. I will take y'all's advice. THANK YOU very much

5. SCHenny

Nov 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by