Coccidiosis treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ktwall, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ktwall

ktwall New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    I have a 20 week old rooster that I think has cocci. I have the 9.6% oral solution of Corid, but I don't know where to start. All the hens seem to not be affected. They free range. Do I just treat the rooster, or should I treat the whole flock?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC!

What signs/symptoms does your rooster have?

You can treat your whole flock with Corid, it won't hurt them. If you want to treat only him, then separate him out and provide food/corid water to just him. Regardless, make sure he is drinking well.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.

Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  3. ktwall

ktwall New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    He is very lethargic, not eating and has diarrhea. He is not wanting to drink today. We tried some in an eye dropper, but I don't know how much water he actually got. [​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry he's not well.
    Please do keep trying to get him hydrated. If it is cocci, then he should improve within a couple of days.
    You can try offering the water in a spoon, for some reason some will drink from a spoon, otherwise try the dropper, if necessary you may need to tube the fluids in him.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding POST#17 shows a good picture how.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by