1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coccidiosis treatments for chickens-brief summary

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by openheartnp, Sep 22, 2011.

1. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    Here's some informationa about various Coccidiosis treatments. I called the companies for additional info, so I figured I would share. When in doubt, call them directly.

DI-METHOX (sulfadimethoxine)
    Agrilabs: 800-542-8916
    For coccidiosis, fowl cholera, and choyryza

for chickens 16 weeks and younger
    1/10 teaspoon in 1 gallon of water. If you dilute a 1/2 teaspoon (which is 5/10) of the powder with 1 teaspoon (5CC) of water, you will have 1/10 teaspoon in 1cc. Use a syringe-you can get them at a drug store.
    treat for 6 days

Why 16 weeks? Because older birds are more sensitive, can become toxic, and have a higher chance of an allergic reaction to it. For older birds, they recommend AGRIMYCIN 343 1/3 teaspoon in 1 gallon of water, treat for 7-14 days.
    Can you eat the eggs? No. Discard them during treatment and for 14 days after.

DURAMYCIN: will not treat coccidiosis.
    Durvet: (800) 821-5570

They carry/recommend Amprol or sulfadimethoxine. I told them what Agrilabs said about older hens, they felt that was more of an FDA ruling, since at 16w you have to consider them layers and now there are eggs involved.

So there you go. I live in NJ, in 2 counties and 3 stores I could only get DI-METHOX. So I don't have a choice with my older girls, unfortunately. One is sick, looks like coccidiosis.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by