Coccidiosis Vaccine

MrsBachbach

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Arkansas
Not really sure where to put this topic, but since it involves baby chicks I put it here. Mods move it if it is not appropriate here.

Has anyone tried the new vaccine yet? I decided to purchase some this year since I don't have the time to do a good cleaning of my chick raising ground this year. I usually don't move them out there until they are five or six weeks old, but in the past I have been able to leave the area unoccupied for several months. Not so this year, I still have hens occupying the ground, but anyway, I decided to try the vaccine this year instead of medicated feed and several doses of Corid while raising the little guys.

So,specifically, does anyone have any instructions on being able to half the dose or use it for small batches of chicks? Any tips or advice? I'd like to be able to use it at least twice this year. I might be raising two different batches for myself. Does it absolutely need to be administered the fourth day? Even if the chicks stay in a brooder? I usually can't get the Marack vaccine done until day three or four anyway because I have to wait on help from my husband and my concern would be administering two vaccines on the same day or within days of each other. Should that be a concern?

I will be using the feed administered method, but my concern will be what if the chicks don't eat enough or eat it right away? Do I need to take away the food prior to administering it to make sure they are ready to eat?

Also, if anyone has used it, how well did it work? Should I expect to see some signs of illness or symptoms just after administration? Did you see any sign of the disease later during their growout?

I really appreciate any tips, knowledge or advice. Thanks.

Top Bottom