Coccidiosis vaccines

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicktwins, May 7, 2011.

1. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I am new to chickens and have 26 chicks coming in a few weeks. They are being vaccinated for Marek's disease as well as Coccidiosis. In my research of these two things I found that the coccidiostat most widely used are a spot on application to the back of the chick. Does this topical application make handling the chicks unsafe?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I wouldn't think so, but if I had the option, I'd definitely go for it. I've lost chickens and a duck to coccidiosis, and that was while they were being medicated. Apparently we have a lot of it here, and the strains are not affected by Corid. If I were to ever get chickens from a hatchery or a breeder who vaccinated chicks before shipping them out, I'd use the "kitchen sink" approach -- vaccinate them for everything I could. Watching a chicken die from Marek's and/or coccidiosis is not something you want to experience firsthand -- trust me on this. [​IMG]

3. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Just be sure that you feed them NON-medicated feed. If you use the medicated, it nullifies the vacination. [​IMG] and enjoy those chicks.

4. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    [​IMG] Yes definitely I will feed non medicated chick starter. Thanks for the reply. Still have the question about the safety in handling them after vaccine at the hatchery??

5. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've had my previous chicks vaccinated at the hatchery, I handled each one every day and haven't grown an extra arm or wings or anything, so I think it's safe. Even if Topical, it would be dry by the time you got the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by