Coccidiosis won't go away... What to do??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickeneer45, Oct 3, 2013.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    I had never had an issue with cocci until I bought two chicks from a local breeder. One of the chicks died from what I think was cocci about a week after I bought it. The next day, I bought corid just in case that is what it was after I saw the second chick poop a bloody drop. That second chick lived for several more weeks and did not die of cocci. I added two more chicks to the brooder a few weeks later. Of course, I had emptied the litter several times so it would seem that the cocci wouldn't be a problem. However, one of the chicks started exhibited the same signs and died a few days later. About a week after that, the other new chick died with the same symptoms: lethargy and bloody poo. The entire time that they were alive and even after each of them died, I was giving them corid. I put one half teaspoon of corid in a 1.8 quart orange juice container that I had (which is enough because it is equivalent to just over 1 teaspoon per gallon). Then, I ordered nine more chicks. They have been fine for the past two weeks or so,but one of them now is exhibiting the same signs!! WHAT DO I DO? I am relatively certain that he will die.... since the rest of them did. I have cleaned the brooder out several times? Is that not enough? Do I have to burn the brooder and get a new one?? I mean, how does cocci even work? I heard they get it from eating poo from other chicks with cocci, but there is constantly new litter in the brooder box. Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Thank you. (Yes, I am using corid right now as well and have been for the past few days)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Dosage for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,it is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings. Cocci thrives in damp/humid conditions,ideal brooder conditions. Are you using medicated feed? You can also add warm medicated water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal)chicks love this and you have the extra benefit of knowing they are getting the medication even if they are not drinking well. Chicks have to be drinking the water for medication to work. Make sure medicated water is the ONLY water they have to drink. Clean and disinfect brooder,this includes all feed bowls/utensils,use a diluted solution of cleaning ammonia as bleach does not kill cocci.

SilkieLadee likes this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

4. SilkieLadee

SilkieLadee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2017
    Aubrey, Tx
    very helpful....I have been bleaching this whole time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by