coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CWP1966, Oct 20, 2015.

1. CWP1966

CWP1966 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    I just got some chickens about a 6 weeks ago. I have a pair of Delawares that are about 5 months old. Also have 2 black copper maran pullets and a buff orpington pullet that are about 4 months old. They all seemed fine at first but the buff and Delaware pullets began looking poor. Standing around with their eyes closed,feathers ruffled. They still ate and drank well.Then the yellow, foamy poop started. I treated all with Corid for 5 days. After that I gave them all yogurt and wormed them. I clean their house and run everyday. I give them fresh water and clean their feeder everyday. The poop went back to normal for a while but the 2 sick birds still didn't act right. Now the yellow poop has returned but they still eat like crazy. I just started them on poultry cell. Also the Delaware pullet has sneezing fits and the buff has a knot on the side of her face with a watery eye.What should I do? I heard if it was coccidiosis they would either be dead or recovering after 8 or 9 days. This has been going on much longer than that. Any help would greatly appreciated .

2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Sounds like you've had your hands full. Sorry to hear of your troubles. You definitely have an issue that needs dealing with and wish I had an answer for you.

You treated with Corid, good. But it may or may not have been cocci.

You wormed them, good. But not all wormers treat all different types of worms. Yellow poop sounds like a possible worm problem. Does your wormer treat cecal worms? Start with some Apple Cider Vinegar (2-3 Tbls/gal) and cayenne pepper (1-2 Tbls/gal) in their water until you get some answers from others on the forum. I think you may need a different brand/type of wormer.

Pictures are worth a thousand words so if you are able to post any of the poop and the watery eye it could be very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by