1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wfpendragon, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Wfpendragon

Wfpendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Hey all, a few hours ago I went to check on my chickens, and found our 13 week old California White was still on the roost with her eyes closed. Thinking she was just tired, I came back inside for a bit then went back out and she was still the same. I took her off the roost and set her down, she walks around a bit and seems to genuinely want to explore and be active, but something has her really fatigued and lethargic. she stands a lot with her eyes closed and her neck close to her body. She has no discharge, sneezing etc. and her vent looks clean. Her legs do have a few darkish bruise like spots. I brought her inside and right now she is eating some electrolyte water mixed with starter/grower crumbles, and she seems to be quite hungry. Does anyone know what might be wrong with her? should I go get some antibiotics or anything? right now I am waiting for her to poop so I can see if it might be parasites or cocci. Here are a few pics of her: her crop seems ok as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the bruise spots on her shanks.

as you can see, she was falling asleep mid-eating. thank you for any replies, I hope our sweet Jessie is okay!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. Wfpendragon

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Update: she pooped, but the look of it gives me cause for alarm...there is red slimy stuff in it[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cocci maybe?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  3. SweetandSavory

SweetandSavory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    i would treat with corrid

4. Wfpendragon

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I started her and the rest on it, today she was pretty much back to normal. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by