coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dollar, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Dollar

Dollar New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    i have hen with cocci last week. I treated the flock with corrid for 7 days. the hen showed lots of improvement. but now she is sick again. can I go ahead and retreat with the corrid again?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What dosage did you use?
    Can you post some photos of the poop you are currently seeing?
    Was the Corid water the only water available?
    You say she is sick again - can you tell us about her symptoms?

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  3. Dollar

Dollar New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    I used 1/2 teaspoon per gal. for 7 days. She showed great improvement. But now going downhill again. Lethargic hanging a lot by herself. Poop watery and pale no blood. It is cocci I took a sample to the vet. I went ahead and put out the corrid yesterday. This time I mixed 2 teaspoons per gal. I also give her some in a drooped to make sure she is drinking. And yes it is the only water available.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The initial dosage she received may have not been strong enough. Hopefully you will see improvement with this dosage.

If you think that she may not be drinking enough, you may want to separate her with food and Corid water so you can monitor her intake.

Let us know how she is doing.

5. Dollar

Dollar New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    Thanks, I think you are right. Is there a cocci vaccination?

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    There is a cocci vaccine. Some of the larger hatcheries have the option of vaccination when you order chicks.

Cocci is everywhere in the soil, so it's unavoidable. Chickens will usually build up a resistance/immunity to cocci, but sometimes their can be an overload, so this is when you need to treat.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by