coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gapeachy, Dec 24, 2008.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    we have had some goats with coccidiosis also some hunting dogs....can chickens be carriers of this disease?....can the disease interact with different animal species? because if the chickens are infecting the goats my husband will make me get rid of the chickens....

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I could be wrong but I thought it was species specific... my vet who is the World's Best Vet suggested I put my chickens and goats on Deccox.(deccoxelene..spelling?) Selenium pasture salt. My area is Selenium deficient which I understand aides in the prevention of Coccidiosis.
    When I rescued my pygmy goats and they were in such poor health I took fecal samples to my vet. after reading about Coccidia in both animals, being very new to chickens and goats. The samples came back neg. but as preventative they are all on Deccox. all samples tested for the last year have been negative.
    Can you take a fecal sample to your vet?
    Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  3. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    is deccox an injection?....if we have more with it we will take a fecal sample...right now only 2....we got corrid...and drenched them

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Nope, not an injection it is a salt that you sprinkle in food once a day. AS I UNDERSTAND IT...SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.....It is not a treatment for already infected animals, I believe they treat infected animals with Sulfa Drugs.

Call your vet before you go and ASK! IMO it's worth not losing any of your animals.

BYC has many threads on Coccidiosis.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Cocci to my knowldge is species specific. Meaning the chickens get a different type than the goats or other ruminants get. The drugs work on all types because the drugs kill indiscriminantly good and bad things at all times differently. So I'd say your chickens are safe. Chickens can be treated with amprol or a liquid sulmet. Not sure about the goat treatment, but It may be different formulations for each.

6. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by