Coccidiosis

8 months and she has blood in her droppings she had a lot yesterday and sometimes it's would just be blood with like gooey blood but today she didn't have a lot of blood and she's resting more than usual

8 months and she has blood in her droppings she had a lot yesterday and sometimes it's would just be blood with like gooey blood but today she didn't have a lot of blood and she's resting more thanusual

Her resting... is it standing up, eyes closed, puffed feathers, tucked neck? Is she laying? How has your weather been? How many birds in how much space? Just clues to say yes it's likely or not, no finger pointing.

Corid is the name brand of the medication to treat cocci, can usually be bought at feed stores. It works by blocking thiamine and starving out the cocci to slow their growth. They are in every single chicken poo and usually only an issue when bloomed out of control, sometimes aggravated by warm/humid conditions. Though not as common in older birds, very possible.

Treat the whole flock with the treatment dose not the prevention dose. And make sure to remove ALL other water sources. If it isn't cocci, it shouldn't hurt anything... though you will have to look up egg residuals to see if you need a withdrawal period. Do NOT supplement with vitamins during treatment.

Hope she feels better. :fl

Her resting... is it standing up, eyes closed, puffed feathers, tucked neck? Is she laying? How has your weather been? How many birds in how much space? Just clues to say yes it's likely or not, no finger pointing.

Corid is the name brand of the medication to treat cocci, can usually be bought at feed stores. It works by blocking thiamine and starving out the cocci to slow their growth. They are in every single chicken poo and usually only an issue when bloomed out of control, sometimes aggravated by warm/humid conditions. Though not as common in older birds, very possible.

Treat the whole flock with the treatment dose not the prevention dose. And make sure to remove ALL other water sources. If it isn't cocci, it shouldn't hurt anything... though you will have to look up egg residuals to see if you need a withdrawal period. Do NOT supplement with vitamins during treatment.

I'm going through this right now with my 2 week old chicks. I just bought some Corid last night and added it to their water and gave a little bit to the chick w/ current symptoms. What is the dose you recommend for treatment?

I'm going through this right now with my 2 week old chicks. I just bought some Corid last night and added it to their water and gave a little bit to the chick w/ current symptoms. What is the dose you recommend for treatment?
Sorry, I don't know the dosage level... I think it's on the container, but maybe not labeled for chickens? A little confusing.

But I know @casportpony is very familiar with this. :highfive:

The powder dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days.

Since you ave chicks, you're probably using a quart size waterer, so I ould recommend using 1/2 teaspoon per quart for 5 days, then 1/8 teaspoon for 7-14 day. It's a just little more than they need, but that's what I would do.

The powder dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days.

Since you ave chicks, you're probably using a quart size waterer, so I ould recommend using 1/2 teaspoon per quart for 5 days, then 1/8 teaspoon for 7-14 day. It's a just little more than they need, but that's what I would do.

Thank you! yea I'm using a soda size bottle w/ a nipple attachment. I added 1CC to the bottle and fed a couple drops straight to the chick last night when I noticed her poo.
poo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom