Coccidiosis?

Bcb0813

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2018
One of our month old polish pullets had a good amount of blood in her poop the other day. After keeping a close eye on her for the next couple of hours, and noticing a few other bloody poops, we decided to start the whole flock on Corid just in case.
Facts:
We have two polish pullets, they currently live in a big tupperware box together until they're big enough to hold their own with the big chickens out in the coop. They have been outside a few times, the last time being about two days before the bloody poop.

We have 3 two-week-old serama chicks living in a Tupperware box next to them. We always sanitize our hands before/after handling different chicks.

We have two 10-week-old Sapphire gem chickens outside in the coop who have been in the same areas as the polish chickens once or twice.

The polish chicken has not had any blood in her stool since the very first day we noticed it. None of the other chickens have had any blood in their stools either. It's been 4 days since we started treating with the moderate treatment dose of Corid. Everyone is acting, eating, drinking, and pooping fine. Could we have overreacted? Would we have noticed more symptoms at this point if it was coccidiosis?

Thanks in advance!!!

Could we have overreacted? Would we have noticed more symptoms at this point if it was coccidiosis?
Better safe than sorry, coccidiosis is deadly fast. :old

You may not have noticed other symptoms... sometimes the bloody poo will appear first. Sometimes they won't happen at all... it depends on the strain that is causing the problem.

All my birds are integrated way before 4 months old... usually closer to 6-8 weeks, using a look but don't touch set up. But I know different situations call for different measures.

Fastest way cocci spreads is in the drinking water when someone poos in it. Also bedding can appear dryer on top than it is underneath sometimes.

All chickens have some coccidia in their system. It isn't a problem unless there is a bloom (overgrowth), which can happen easily in warm or crowded conditions. Since all have individual immune systems they may not be equally effected but it is always good to treat the whole crew... per enclosure. It may not be needed across the board as it has to be ingested and is not airborne.

Corid works by mimicking thiamine... so that coccidia are essentially feeding on synthetic nothing and starve themselves out... slowing down their reproduction while the bird continues to build their own resistance. It does NOT actively kill anything. I would see treatment through the full course... It should not have any effect if a bird gets treated who didn't truly need it. I think you made the right decision.

Glad you didn't lose any babies and all seem like they are doing well!

Welcome to BYC, I hope you love it here! :frow

All my birds are integrated way before 4 months old... usually closer to 6-8 weeks, using a look but don't touch set up. But I know different situations call for different measures.

I may have mistyped! None of our chickens are 4 months old! The polish are about 4 weeks, and the oldest ones that are in the coop are about 9-10 weeks.
We were planning to start introductions this coming weekend, but then this happened!

Thank you so much for all of.your advice!!! I really appreciate it!!

I may have mistyped! None of our chickens are 4 months old! The polish are about 4 weeks, and the oldest ones that are in the coop are about 9-10 weeks.
We were planning to start introductions this coming weekend, but then this happened!

Thank you so much for all of.your advice!!! I really appreciate it!!

Actually, I think I misread... and even caught it and meant to change that, sorry. :oops:

Oops, I'm obviously new! Not sure how the whole quote thing works yet!!
Trust me, I have been there. :cool:

Sounds like you will be having a fun flock. Good luck with your integration, and good looking out for things and taking action! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom