Coccidiosis?

Cchurchill91

Chirping
Feb 3, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I took my chicks out to play on the floor to try and determine which of them was having these runny poops. I started noticing the other day when there was a small trace of blood in one piece. It’s my smallest chick who’s been acting quite tired yesterday and today. The rest of them are very active and having normal poops but the small chick just sort of stands away from the rest, closing his/her eyes most of the time. I’m worried it’s Coccidiosis. I never thought to ask the breeder if these chicks were vaccinated which I doubt they were and I have been giving them unmedicated feed. Should I treat them for Coccidiosis to be safe? I’d hate to see them all get sick and lose them but I don’t know if its normal. Thanks.

Attachments

• 5122675C-27CB-458F-8A3C-36D1B835CBF2.jpeg
    5122675C-27CB-458F-8A3C-36D1B835CBF2.jpeg
    939.2 KB · Views: 12
  • F36757E3-5DBE-4DC8-9473-A9BA9D917B43.jpeg
    F36757E3-5DBE-4DC8-9473-A9BA9D917B43.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 12
Yes treat them. By the time you see blood and lethargy it's pretty advanced they all need a cycle asap

Oh no. All the feed stores are closed until tomorrow morning here. What do you recommend buying for treatment? Is there anything I can do to help them in the meantime? Also, should I isolate the sick chick from the other 6 until I can get the medication tomorrow morning or just keep them all together?

I don't see any blood in your pics, but not all cocci will cause blood in the stool. I think I see an intestinal lining...which is hard to tell.

If they have been vaccinated you would probably have to use a Sulfa drug instead of Amprolium. Usually sellers make it a point to say their chicks have been vaccinated so I would assume they haven't been so you probably need something with Amprolium in it. I'm not sure which brands are available in Canada but down here we use Corid. Also if they now have a case of coccidiosis, then medicated feed will not help at this point.

I don't see any blood in your pics, but not all cocci will cause blood in the stool. I think I see an intestinal lining...which is hard to tell.

If they have been vaccinated you would probably have to use a Sulfa drug instead of Amprolium. Usually sellers make it a point to say their chicks have been vaccinated so I would assume they haven't been so you probably need something with Amprolium in it. I'm not sure which brands are available in Canada but down here we use Corid. Also if they now have a case of coccidiosis, then medicated feed will not help at this point.

Theres only been one stool with blood in it and that was yesterday. I’m assuming it was from the same chick who’s been having the runny ones today. I’m really hoping the feed stores carry Amprolium or Corid. Once I do the treatment, would you recommend I switch them to a medicated feed? I wish I did my research on medicated and non medicated before getting the chicks. Feeling like a bad chick mom. Thanks for the help.

From the pics it looks like the chicks are in your home. Once they go out to the dirt they will be exposed to more cocci. I might be wrong about this but they aren't really exposed to cocci inside the home unless one is infected before you get it and they all peck at the infected poo.

So yes I believe I would buy some medicated feed before you get off the Amprolium. You can also use the Amprolium in the drinking water at the preventative dose (0.006%) instead of buying medicated feed.

Doses

If you have a different percentage Amprolium just come back and ask and someone can refigure the dose for you.

I took my chicks out to play on the floor to try and determine which of them was having these runny poops. I started noticing the other day when there was a small trace of blood in one piece. It’s my smallest chick who’s been acting quite tired yesterday and today. The rest of them are very active and having normal poops but the small chick just sort of stands away from the rest, closing his/her eyes most of the time. I’m worried it’s Coccidiosis. I never thought to ask the breeder if these chicks were vaccinated which I doubt they were and I have been giving them unmedicated feed. Should I treat them for Coccidiosis to be safe? I’d hate to see them all get sick and lose them but I don’t know if its normal. Thanks.
Coccidiosis is a parasitic disease caused by coccidial protozoa on the intestinal tract of animals. The disease spreads by contact with contaminated feces or by ingestion of infected tissue from one animal to another. The main symptom is diarrhea, which can in extreme cases turn bloody.

Your pic looks like intestinal lining. How are their temps? Could she be eating the bedding? Do they have grit? Is anyone keeping her from the food? I had a little bantam that had similar and discovered he wasn't being allowed to eat. I put another feeder in and he was better in hours.

Back
Top Bottom