Coccidiosis?

Sydann

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2022
Does this look concerning for coccidiosis? It seems only one chick has it. They all seem alert and I have seen them all eating. I have been noticing these poops in their pen for about a week now, they are just over three weeks old. Unfortunately I can’t monitor them consistently enough to tell if it’s coming from all of them or just one. I should also add they have not been on medicated feed before and they also do not have exposure to any other birds.

Attachments

• E037FA16-B614-49DE-8F13-199CFA19966C.jpeg
    E037FA16-B614-49DE-8F13-199CFA19966C.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 17
Does this look concerning for coccidiosis? It seems only one chick has it. They all seem alert and I have seen them all eating. I have been noticing these poops in their pen for about a week now, they are just over three weeks old.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Only one or two of the strains of coccidia out of the 9-11 known to effect poultry will present as blood in droppings.. which that doesn't look like (blood) at all.

Behavior is the strongest indicator aside from blood in droppings with regards to coccidiosis.. Going off of feed, lethargy, standing around poofed up.

It is possible what you're seeing only on occasion are what's known as cecal poops.

That looks more like shed intestinal lining to me, which is normal.

If all the chicks are bright eyed, alert and active, it's unlikely that you have coccidiosis at this time.

Back
Top Bottom