1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by riftnreef, Dec 9, 2009.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    What is the treatment ofr coccidiosis? I'm going to take a stool sample to the vet this weekend, and I'm pretty sure that will be the answer, so I would like to have an idea what I'm looking at to treat my flock.

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    there are quite a few that work well, any sulfur based meds will do it.. Jeffer's.com has a big selection of them, though your vet may have one on hand. If it is cocci, you'll want to treat it as fast as possible as it is very bad on them and doesnt take long to kill poultry once it's to the point of seeing visible signs, hope it's not. You may want to take an actual bird there, as a rectal swap it the way most do it. Though they may be able to get a true look just from poop.
    Good luck

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If you think and see the symptoms that your birds are overwhelmed by cocci, waiting until this weekend sounds dangerous. As Boggy said, cocci can move fast.

Corid is known to kill more different strains of cocci than the sulphur-based drugs. You can usually get a small bottle of Corid for around $20.

Can you get your vet to do a swab earlier? Like tomorrow morning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by