Coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vancefarm, Sep 9, 2013.

1. vancefarm

vancefarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    I am new to raising chickens and ducks. I noticed what looked like blood in the poop. I thought it might be Coccidiosis but none of my chickens look ill. My youngest son said he feed them some red berries. Should I treat them just in case or wait for signs? Also we just butchered our first rooster, should I not eat it? My hens like to perch on this old dog house and this is what I found.
    [​IMG]

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Looks like berry poop. I would not worry.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It won't take long for the berries to be out of their systems, so if you see any more poop like that, it's probably blood. I'm not sure, but it looks like there could be some clotting in there.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. vancefarm

vancefarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Thank you all for the help and support. I guess it is coccidiosis, I just found my biggest rooster dead in the garden. Starting corid treatment. [​IMG]

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry!
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    There is a difference between blood in the stool or bloody stool, and berries in the bowels, which is what this looks like. In other words the picture of the top of the dog house looks like your chickens have been eating poke weed berries.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one (and I mean that in the nicest way possible), but it looks like pure blood to me.

-Kathy

8. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    When blood sits it will turn black. If it is still red it is not blood.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I beg to differ... I found a spot just like that that was very clearly blood and it didn't turn black until at least 24 hours later.

-Kathy

10. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I meant that long ago, this thread was started 25 hours ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by