Coccidiosis???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JesNflock, Oct 17, 2013.

1. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    I just picked up 4 4 & 5 week old chicks yesterday and they are all acting ok, but this morning my little easter egger had a couple of bloody looking droppings. I think it is quite possibly coccidiosis but as I am new to raising chickens I'm not sure and could use any input I can get. She is the only one with these droppings.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would start them on Corid or Amprol ASAP!

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.
    The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon per gallon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon.
    The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon per gallon.

The 006% dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon per gallon.
    The 006% dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

FDA recommendations:
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
    "Chickens
    Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
    Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
    "Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

More info here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

Corid and Amprol are usually found in the cattle section of feedstores, they look like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    -Kathy

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  3. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    OK will do. Should I treat them all for it? Also should quarantine her from the rest of them for the time being?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would treat all of them.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And I would treat at the .024% level for 5-7 days. It should be their only water source and make fresh daily.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    Yes treat all of your chickens. To make sure that all of them get some of the medicine, make an oatmeal like mix of the Corid water into the mix. That way you can guarantee that all of them get at least some of the medicine to start. Also, very important that you do not give any electrolytes. Electrolytes and vitamins can actually prevent the Corid from working. I lost some very expensive and rare chickens from coccidiosis before I figured out that I should not give vitamins to them while treating them with Corid. Once I stopped, the coccidiosis cleared up in a day or two.

2 people like this.
  7. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Thanks so much for all the great advice! So far she seems to be improving nicely and the rest of them so far haven't shown any negative signs. I will definitely keep a close eye on them though[​IMG]

8. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Oh I was wondering about probiotics and/or yogurt during this time...can(or even should) I give any to them while on the Corid?

9. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    You would need to make sure that the probiotics and the yogurt do not contain thiamine. You can call the manufacturer of each to find out. Personally I would hold off until after the treatment period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by