Coccidiosis.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by BrooketheChook, Oct 16, 2014.

1. BrooketheChook

BrooketheChook Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    South Australia
    Hi All! I'm Brooke from Adelaide. I am a first time chick owner and I am paranoid about the poo one of my baby chicks did, other than the hundreds of different poos they do each day, lol. I was informed it could be the intestinal lining or coccidiosis and it worried me. She only did one mucus-like poo, with a lot of the white stuff in it, but also a tiny amount of what looked like blood, although a little more orange. She has been eating, drinking, fighting with her sister and chirping...they do sleep a lot (but I've heard that is normal for babies).

Since, I have been googling a range of pet suppliers and rang a couple of places looking for over the counter treatments....I am unsure if Australia just doesn't sell the internet recommended treatments or I am pronouncing them wrong to the people on the phone. Other than buying something online for a few hundred dollars, or going to the vet (I'm a broke uni student) I can't seem to find any fast treatments within Adelaide.

I have always fed them the medicated feed and they are indoors in a clean and dry enclosure with a heat lamp....as per all recommendations. Should I be concerned? and, is there over the counter treatment, perhaps with a different name to sulphurdim(?), baycox(?), corid(?), sulmet(?), that doesn't cost my weekly earnings?

Suggestions would be great!

Cheers!

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    She's probably fine, especially if you are already using medicated chick starter I wouldn't think you'd need anything else. Just watch her for a bit. But if she's acting normal, I wouldn't lose sleep over it if I were you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by