Coccidiosis??

OhioClucker

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 2, 2013
After letting my chickens out to range this morning I noticed that my daughter's bantam is sick looking. She isn't moving much unless prompted. Right now she is just laying in the yard, the same spot she was in about an hour ago. She acts like her balance is off, as she will start to fall over and put out a wing to steady herself. Her comb and wattle are very pale in color. I notice she is having diarrhea, so far it just white. Did note that it had some green at one point. I syringed her some electrolyte water just so she had something in her while I try to figure out what is wrong.

After some reading I suspect it's Coccidiosis. Does this seem right? Could it be anything else? If it is Coccidiosis what are my next steps?
I know she needs Corid, which I assume we'll have to syringe into her. How do I protect the rest of my flock? I have three adult chickens and four chicks that are 9 weeks old.

Please help, it's my daughter's birthday and I don't want her favorite chicken to die.

It may well be coccidiosis if the bantam is 9 weeks old. Dehydration can also be a problem, and the electrolytes may help. How old is the sick chicken? Coccidiosis symptoms are lethargy, weakness, standing around puffed up or hunched appearance, diarrhea that may or may not contain blood, and a poor appetite. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) a cattle medicine from feed stores. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid pr gallon of water for 5-7 days. I would check her for signs of mites and lice, and feel of her crop to see if it is empty or full. Is she able to move her legs and walk? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?

She doesn't really look puffed up. She's been laying a lot, we separated her from the other chickens and placed her in a tote with medicated crumbles and electrolyte water. She is almost two years old. She can walk as she walked around the yard a bit earlier today. She just seems unsteady. I haven't seen her eat today. She does have watery stools. Her backside needs a good washing.
We bought Corid and went ahead and dosed her tonight and gave some to the rest of the flock.
How do I check for mites and lice? This is the first time I have ever had any illnesses with my chickens so I'm slightly at loss.

Back
Top Bottom