Coccidosis in vaccinated hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thassa, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Thassa

Thassa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Adirondack Park, NY
    I took a stool sample to the vets office this am to have her check for worms since the girl's laying is starting to pick up and I would rather throw out 12 eggs now instead of 25 eggs in a month or two if they need to be wormed. The sample I took came back positive for Coccidosis which is quite confusing to me.

My flock has either been vaccinated or broody raised outside and the sample was from a 2 year old hen I know was vaccinated at the hatchery. Not a single bird is sick, I just did a poop board cleaning and don't see any sign of blood. I know there are different strains of Coccidosis, does the vaccine not cover all that a chicken might have? Corid is on order.

Also, is Corid okay for my duck?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It is normal for a fecal sample to contain a few cocci on the microscopic slide. However if the microscopic slide is loaded with cocci, that's when there's a problem and birds will need treatment. If that were the case your birds wouldnt be acting normal, they would be at deaths doorstep.
    The same is true for ecoli bacteria; every chicken has the bacteria. It's when it gets out of control is when it causes serious problems.

3. Thassa

Thassa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Adirondack Park, NY
    That makes total sense, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by