Coccidosis, intestinal shed, or?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tstringer, Jan 23, 2014.

1. tstringer

tstringer Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    No other systems that I can tell, other than a morning bloody stool? I looked through the pictures of the website someone helpfully posted that showed poops and whats normal. However I am still worried about this. It has been three days.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is blood, not intestinal shed. I would treat for coccidiosis with amprollium or Corid liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. Treat all chickens. After completing give 1 week of vitamins and probiotics in the water. What are the other symptoms?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  3. tstringer

May 27, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    No other symptoms, all are eating fine and behaving normally. All are still laying normally as well. I just singled out the hen that I feel the culprit is by checking out their current roost position tonight. I have been using amprollium for two full days now. Is there a time frame when I should see a subsiding, is it the 5 day mark?

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    X2 definitely blood. Coccidosis I'd say as well. Do as above post instructed and treat with corid. Corid is amprollium and goes by the name corid or amprol. It will kill all species of cocci.

5. tstringer

May 27, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    Will do. Stay tuned

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid is also found in a powder form--dosage is1.5 tsp per gallon of water. It is a cattle medicine.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How old is the bird? I'd probably also treat with Safeguard wormer (liquid or paste) if it's a mature bird. I don't think there are any Tractor Supply stores in your area, and I'm not familiar with the feed stores around San Carlos, so if the store you shop at doesn't have Corid and Safeguard, your best bet is probably Half Moon Bay Feed and Fuel, Sam's Downtown Feed in San Jose or one of the many An Jan's.

Both items are usually found in the cattle, goat and horse sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by