Coccidostat in feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dani xxx, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    I just noticed they have put a warning on the feed website about super starter crumbs 27% that I have been mixing with my layer pellets 20% (to up the protein content) they should not be given for 5 days if you want to consume their eggs they aren't laying anyway as it winter here in the U.K.but come spring will I need to seive out the crumbs they do tend to eat more pellets than crumbs but will it really matter ? After searching all I can find is that it could kill some bacteria in our gut aswell but I have found others saying they don't believe they will cause an issue as such low quantities ! X

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It depends on whether or not there are other ingredients in this feed. Just plain Amprolium, which is the most common Coccidiostat put in medicated feeds is a synthetic type of Thiamine. The Cocci need huge amounts of Thiamine to remain alive and reproduce. The Cocci find this Amprolium and consume it readily, but because it doesn't provide the B vitamin Thiamine they crave and actually blocks the real Thiamine, the Cocci die off.

And while it is never good to consume any of these drugs long term, there is no egg or meat withdrawal on Amprolium and you can consume the eggs or eat the meat while they are on medicated feed.

However keep in mind, the healthiest birds have developed immunity do not need medicated feed and I do not recommend incubating eggs that have Coccidiostats in them. Also for anyone reading this with a Cocci outbreak, medicated feed will not heal birds with Coccidiosis. You need to use the full strength Amprolium and withdraw the medicated feed while using this drug.

3. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Thanks ! X it says it is avatec not sure if that is a trade or generic name ?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Ok...I did some research. [​IMG]

Avatec contains a Lasalocid, an antibacterial drug, along with a Coccidiostat. So yes, since it does have antibacterial drugs in it, I wouldn't consume any meat or eggs for at least 2 weeks after last usage. No incubating eggs either until it is well out of their systems. I also wouldn't use this on a continual basis either as it will no doubt kill off all good bacteria and yeasts in the gut used for digestion. So be careful with it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by