Coccosidious

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shelby Smith, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Shelby Smith

Shelby Smith In the Brooder

Jan 13, 2019
    I just lost my 4 month old brahma to coccosidious, I lost my 1o month old rooster to the same thing last month.I treated all with Corid for 7 days.She just started showing symptons yesterday and I quarantined her and this morning she died.What can I do before I lose my whole flock.Im devistated.HELP

2. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    How many more chickens do you have?
    If they all have it you don’t need to quarantine it’s better for them to be together
    did you give corid in water or did you do the drench?
    Are you sure it’s cocci?
    Do they have blood in their droppings?

3. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    are you giving the right dosage also if they aren’t drinking it dip their beaks in it

4. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Also keep them inside in a warm place inside like a bathroom
    Are they hunched up with their feathers out?
    Are they moving around a lot or just kind of standing still?

5. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Also clean their butts of poop

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you describe what the symptoms were and how the chickens looked. Coccidiosis is more often a disease of younger birds, but it is still possible for older birds to get it. They tend to look weak and hunched, do not eat, and have runny poops, sometimes with blood.

What dosage of Corid were you using? Were they drinking enough of it? If you lose another bird, or if you still have the body, you should send the body in to your state vet for a necropsy, just in case something else is happening. Refrigerate, but don’t freeze the body and take it in or ship it overnight right away.

If you are having a coccidiosis outbreak, it could be a bad strain that might require sulfa antibiotics. You would need to get that from a vet. Be sure and clean up all of the droppings, and put down fresh bedding in your coop, keeping it dry. Sorry for your loss.

Wyorp Rock and aart like this.
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wyorp Rock and aart like this.
  8. Shelby Smith

Jan 13, 2019
    I have 14 more this one did have some blood in poop.I am from ky and have come to Mississippi until May.I didnt have any trouble in ky.I also have 15 day old chicks coming in March.

9. Shelby Smith

Jan 13, 2019
    I gave corid in water for 7 days because I had another that got sick after my rooster died.Then just yesterday i saw the one that died today .

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get a necropsy because you don’t want to bring baby chicks in with something bad going on. Be sure and put the new chicks in clean bedding that has not been used before, and clean your brooder with disinfectant.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: