COCCSIDIOSIS PREVENTIVE!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by caitlin eli, Mar 1, 2015.

1. caitlin eli

caitlin eli New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    (I may not be spelling it right)
    Is their some type of medication you can add to chicken water every few months or something as a PREVENTIVE against coccsidiosis?
    Or would you just use the medication you give them when they do have it already?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Yes, there is a preventative dose. Unless you have recently moved, have a case of coccidiosis, are bringing in soil/rocks/gravel/new birds from elsewhere or are toting your birds around to shows and fairs, they should develop resistance to the strains in their living area. (IMHO) Anyway, the dosing chart is in Kathy's signature @casportpony Welcome to the flock! Ask us anything! [​IMG]

Sorry, I forgot to mention the medication is corid, don't know where my mind is sometimes[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Many people use a preventative dosage of Corid (amprollium) which is 1/3 tsp of the powder Corid every given in a gallon of water for 5 days every 3 weeks until chicks are old enought to build up a resistance to coccidia. Others will use a medicated feed containing amprollium, but that does not always prevent a coccidia overload.

4. caitlin eli

caitlin eli New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    In goats corid doesn't work and hurts more than it helps. Are their different types of corid for different species?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coridis the best treatmentfor chickens since it treats all 9-11 known chicken coccidia strains. It is the same Corid that is used on cattle. The liquid preventative dosage is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by