Cochin 4-5 weeks old gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Floc Quebecois, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    This little fury thing is one of our last addition to our flock!
    She is 4-5 weeks old; is it too young to tell if she's a she or a he?

Also, we were told she was a splash: is she?

And is it me, or she could be frizzled? How can you tell? What do you look for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, we still need a name for this one. Any ideas? [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    *squinches eyes at tiny picture* I can't see the picture well enough sorry.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    The pictures are very small, but at that age, I had a very good idea of my cochins' genders. All the cockerels had good sized red combs by that age, so I'd say you have a pullet there. As for color, it looks lavender in the pic to me, but it could be the lighting. Could you get a bigger picture?

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Me too. [​IMG]

With the frizzles I have raised, it is obvious as their first feathers begin to come in if they are frizzled or not. Is she/he bantam or large fowl Cochin?

I watch as the cochin chicks develop from about 3 days to 3 weeks. During this time, the girls usually feather a little faster all over. Boys are often still generally fuzzy or bare, especially around the shoulders and tip of the tail.

If I haven't figured out by 3 weeks who is who, around 5 to 6 weeks, the boys combs begin to grow slightly and sometimes turn dark pink. They also get a slight amount of wattle hanging down on their chin (maybe a 1/8 inch,) whereas girls wattles, if they show at all, are only a thin tight line along their jaw. By 8 weeks, it is much easier to figure out the sexes at glance. Boys have distinctive growth and curve in the comb and sometimes almost 1/4 inch wattles, both dark pink to red. Girls have little to no growth in the comb, and it is still light pink or pinkish yellow. Also, male bantam cochins can start crowing pretty early. 8 weeks is not that unusual.

5. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    ok!

let's try this again... My IPhone doesn't always give me the same quality... sorry about that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

6. GardeNerd

From what I can see in the new pictures, I would say it is a Pullet [​IMG]

7. GardeNerd