1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin Aggressive to One Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peep-Chicken, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    My bantam Cochin, really doesn't mind other chickens. But she absolutely hates our only RIR mix. She pulls out feathers, gives her scars. And sadly, our RIR mix, Bonnie won't stand up for it. This isn't pecking order. When we first got Bonnie in December, Luna picked her. Bonnie came in due to other issues from end of January to beginning of March. Luna still hates her! If I have to, Bonnie would stay and Luna (Cochin) can go. I like them both, but Bonnie likes me the most.
    [​IMG]
    Luna, pecking Bonnie after sparring with her.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you tried removing the cochin from the flock for a period of time (weeks not hours)?

3. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    No. What would that do?

4. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Removing the mean girl for several days to a seperate pen/dog cage/whatever you got has worked for me. Sometimes more than once. I guess it upsets the pecking order. I have had poor results with mean Roos. I have a 5 year old Polish girl that was removed several times a year till she became a Bossie old lady, but not mean today. Soup or chicken dinner is always a option too.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It gives the others a chance to shuffle the pecking order and become comfortable with one another. The cochin upon reintroduction might just get her butt kicked and be relegated to a non 'bossy' position in the flock.

6. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by