1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin Americana Mix???? Bantam???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JakRat, Jul 10, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    no idea what this supposed lady cochin americana mix actually is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any thoughts?

2. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    Hey that almost looks like what ever cross I have right here lol ..[​IMG]

3. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Looks like a d'uccle cochin mix or something. The bottom one looks like a duccle silkie mix.

4. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    LOL is yours a bantam??? She is supposed to be a full grown... sigh

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Why does the first one have to be a mix? It just looks like a Porcelain D'uccle to me.

6. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:That's what the guy I bought her from said she was but her coloring doesn't make sense for that to me
    is she a he?

7. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I thought d'uccle tails were supposed to be long and upright?...I have both right now and it looks like a d'uccle with a cochin tail. Although...the pic doesn't show the tail too clearly. [​IMG]

It also appears to be male

8. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Son of a Beesting!!! The guy I bought them from seems to be a liar and a cheat... oh well I guess I will have to find a new home for a few of them... the tail is not as prominent as the other owner in the post below mine. It is very calm very very calm. If this is a bantam how old would you say? do the d'uccles come in a larger size? agh I am furious!

9. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    It could also just be from hatchery stock which would be why it's tail is not "normal". but yes, that is most definitely a boy. I have two almost 2 month old mille fleur d'uccles and their combs and tiny and yellow.

If I had to guess age looking at the size of the grass....1-2 months? If you decide to get more, you can tell females from males at 3 weeks old as males get large red combs early. They stay pretty small, and they do not come in a standard large fowl size.

10. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:grrr!!! He is super sweet but I am going to have to find another home for him as my DH said NO ROOSTERS!! He is also telling me to wait it out a few weeks to see if it gets any bigger that maybe it is a mix... not sure about that... and who knows maybe I have all boys in my flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by