Cochin, Americauna, and Orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Finnisher, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Finnisher

Finnisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2016
    Hi, I have some cool looking chicks and I was wondering if anyone could confirm their breeds.

So I got the eggs from the same person as last time, however he told me now that his rooster is Americauna and some hens were cochins, on top of some hens being RIR and Red Stars.

The first black chick looks pretty generic completely black with pink skin.
    [​IMG]

Now these chicks look Orpingtons, they have feathers on their feet like Cochins. They have 2 black toes and the middle toe is pink. Maybe black Cochins?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These white chicks have black dots on them but they also have feathers on their feet. Cochins?
    [​IMG]
    This one has the least amount of feathers on feet.
    [​IMG]
    These ones are the generic chick I showed in my last post and I was told to wait till they were 5-6 weeks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Are these Americauna?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The brown ones are the largest, followed by the white ones, then the black ones are the smallest.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. sshrader

sshrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    the bottom 2 pics do look like Easter Eggers (Usually referred as Ameraucanas or Americanas.), one looks like it has a straight comb though? Normally they have Pea combs.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    If he is breeding an 'Ameraucana' rooster with Cochins, RIRs, and Red stars they are all going to be mixes. Are you asking which ones are from which mothers?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    No Ameraucana in any of those chicks. No pea combs, no muffs/beards, yellow skin on most. His Ameraucana rooster is probably an Easter Egger. All mixed breeds. You can only have Cochins, if both parents were Cochins.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Junebuggena summed it up for you , I agree. Maybe you can get birds from someone else next time.

6. Finnisher

Apr 26, 2016
    I just bought eggs from him because he was selling cheap and I wanted to hatch some eggs. Anything wrong with mixed breeds?

I don't know much about chicken genetics, if they're mixes how're they for meat/egg production and growth.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Absolutely nothing wrong with mixed breeds, it's just that you won't be able to know if your flock is prone to brooding, what they will look like as adults, what color eggs you'll get, or what their production rate will be like.

8. Finnisher

Apr 26, 2016
    Alright, thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by