cochin and ee/mutt mix hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickenaddict, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I am unsure of age as I gapped out and forgot to write these ones down like I do with almost every hatch. The dark one is a brown/red cochin and the lighter one is an ee/mutt mix. If I had to guess on their age i'd say around 2-3 months old. I am usually good at sexing my babies but these have me confused.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Darker one is a roo the lighter one is a hen.

3. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thats kind of what I was thinking too but on the darker one my brown/red cochin males usually have far more red around their necks, the color pattern on this one is consistant with my hen and the cockerels combs are usually bigger and redder by this age. The waddles on the other hand scream cockerel. :dunno

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I think it's a pullet. I have two close to the same age and they both have waddles like yours. Usually the Cochin roos get much bigger combs by that age. The other little one is so cute with it's little muff.

5. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thanks julie! That little ones name is squirt. When squirt was 3 weeks old and still really tiny mama hen took off and wanted nothing to do with it anymore. I brought the little one in the house and because it was the only chick to hatch out of that batch it was a very needy baby. I had it wrapped in a fleece blanket and slept with it in my bed every night for 2 more weeks. Eventually I got it to get used to the 2 other babies it is with now so it had company. Now squirt and the brown/red cochin are best buds. I really hope the cochin turns out to be a hen, I have far tooo many roosters running around here as it is and you can't even give them away now n days.

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I think they are both pullets too. My pullets had wattles that size at that age too - the wattles and comb on your cochin are still very small and light pink - no worries.

Here's my cochin roo at only 8 weeks (frizzled, but still a cochin):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awww what a ham that frizzled roo of yours is! and thanks! Lord knows I have enough roos around here to fertilize eggs from here to TX! LOL

8. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Looks like a partridge "something" Is that the same as a blue and red??

9. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have 1 hen and 1 rooster both were bought from a good breeder, I saw her stock before I bought a bunch of brown/red cochin chicks I kept 1 pair back for myself this dark chick is their offspring, she should finish out like her mother. Here is the mom petunia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by