Cochin babies growing up!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dlynne1123, Aug 21, 2011.

1. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

Ok these are two I asked about a while back. Had them sexed yesterday and it does look like one is a roo. Its ok though, I think we're gonna keep him!
    My next question is how do I know if it a LF standard or a bantam? They're supposed to be 4 months now, and they look very fluffy and full feathered. I do know they grow slow, so....I'm just curious. Still gonna keep em!

And was thinking of exibitioning them next year, maybe get some babies. Suggestions? Criticisms? The farm boy yesterday said they were beautiful but think he was just being nice!
    I bought them as little babies at a farm swap and I thought that he said standards, but he also said both were girls [​IMG] who knows!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    They are pretty little birds-they look to be bantams based on the height of the crate they are in. If they were stndards I would think they would be alot taller in that crate-unless that crate is for 100 dogs? [​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That's a pretty pair! I would say they are bantams, but I have no idea what size crate they're in. My LF Cochins are about 19 weeks old, and most of them are already as big or bigger than my other standard sized chickens. Enjoy those beauties [​IMG]

4. spaceranger

spaceranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Bantams! they look almost exactly like my two [​IMG] if they are the same age then yeah one is probably a cock but if theres a chance there could be a few weeks age gap then you may have two girls, I thought for ages that I had a boy because of larger comb n wattles but a year down the line and they are both girls [​IMG]

5. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks! They are in a medium size dog crate, no a small cat carrier. The farm guy was feeling for a boy bump under the feathers, I just beleived him! Hope hes right! They are supposed to be the same age...

All my other chicks of different breeds have doubled in size and these two just get fluffier rather than taller. Its all feathers! They are so darn cute! Thinking of letting them hatch some eggs next spring. Think they are good lookin enough? The others were all for eggs but these two were something different and are a blast. Not as friendly as my original chick chicks, but I can catch them and handle them if I have to. They love to be fed by hand, just not picked up.

So glad I tried some different breeds this year!

6. spaceranger

spaceranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Cochins will sit really well on eggs they are the perfect Broodies! they certainly look like a cute couple i'd say go for it unless you notice any ill health or abnormalities as they grow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by