Cochin baby - big squishy crop and lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lovesdisney, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Lovesdisney

Lovesdisney Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    We brought home 5 new cochin chicks yesterday. Today one of the older ones (maybe 3 weeks) is not moving around. I checked it and it has a big squishy crop. I isolated it and gave it water. What do i need to do to help it???

Its breathing shallow and not moving around..... Help!

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I would keep tabs on the crop, feel it every half hour or so and see if it's emptying at all. If it isn't, you may have a case of sour crop on your hands. One of the easiest treatments is to use Apple Cider Vinegar in the water (it's not an exact science, but close to a Tablespoon per quart is probably strong enough).

We need to know a little more in order to help you. Does it have bad breath? Is it eating at all? Is it drinking? How does its droppings look? Was she sick at all when you took her home? What kind of bedding are you using in the brooder?

Good luck with her! Hopefully she'll start feeling better soon.

3. Lovesdisney

Apr 16, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    They were all running around fine last night. He had them in a barn with the parents and lots of chicks. All beautiful and very healthy running around, happy as could be. Each color had its one big horse stall.. Last night we were out and they ran around the yard. My kids played with them for hours. She was fine. We put them in a box.... I didn't put pine in I just used extra chucks I had around because I get them shipped monthly to me for my daughter and don't use them. I have always used them for my chicks. Its easy to change them a couple times a day. Last night her and the other larger one were the 2 roosting on the edge of the box. So I covered the box last night because they kept escaping. She was in with 4 others so I have no idea on droppings. I have isolated her and she has done nothing. She hasn't even moved. I put water only in with her. I don't have apple cider vinegar. I will pick some up.... we are heading to a wedding in about an hour.... so on the way home I will grab vinegar.

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Okay, thanks for giving more information! It really helps.

Since you don't have any ACV, I'd recommend putting a bit of sugar or electrolytes in her water to see if it perks her up a bit. If she isn't drinking by herself, just dribble it down the side of her beak and she will swallow it.

The only other thing that comes to mind is heat stroke, but your brooder sounds great and I'm not trying to say you're taking care of them improperly, I just wanted to throw that idea out there for consideration.

Hopefully she'll perk up by the time you get back!

5. Lovesdisney

Apr 16, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I got her out to take a picture of her/him (we will say her... I hope she is a she). She is a mille felure cochin. She had pottied in the box. Then when I sat her down she pottied again! So maybe she has it moving some..... here she is. I will add a little sugar to her water before we go. She is still just laying. Thanks for the suggestions! You can see she is still swollen. She is sleeping in her own little box. All the others are plotting their escape....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lovesdisney

Apr 16, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I just got home from the wedding. The little fella had literally exploded... there was poop everywhere. Now its up and walking and chirping a bit! YAAY! I got sav-a-chick so it will get extra electrolytes. Is there anything else I need to do or watch for? When can I give it more food???

Thanks again!

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    She's stunning... I have five of these little babies who are about six weeks old and two who are laying -- they are my favorite breed! Now that she has pooped every where ((she does look like a girl to me and might be a bit older than three weeks) how does her crop feel? Is she more energetic and animated today? What has she been eating up to now?

I would give them some fruits and veggies -- mine are partial to apples and broccoli Because they are so tiny I chop everything into itty bitty bite sized pieces. Broccoli tops are easy to chop -- chunks of apple get run through a garlic press. I've tried running veggies through the food processor for them -- easier on me --- they don't like it like that.

Keep up updated on her -- she is so adorable. Pretty pretty girl. ♥

Jenny

8. Lovesdisney

Apr 16, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Jenny!

Right now I have her on chick feed with a little water in it to make it soft for her. Her crop feels ok. She isn't back to her usual self, but she is moving around a lot more and playing a little today so I put her with the other chicks and she is much happier. We have never had cochins. We now have 5. 3 are millie fleurs, 1 is a silver laced and one is black. I loved the silver laced color. I have 0 guesses on gender. Her and one other are the 2 oldest. One millie fleur is much younger she is just a week or so barely feathering. She is a tiny little thing my kids call her "baby baby". Then the silver laced and black are in the middle somewhere. She may be 4 weeks.... I have no idea.

I wouldn't mind one millie fleur roo.... Otherwise I am hoping for hens. He tried to give us 10-12 chicks... I said nononono! But I do want the ones we got to make it (and hopefully be girls).

If you know much about gender I may try to get pics of them all. I will try veggies after she does ok a couple days on softened chick feed.

Laying at 6 weeks?!!?!?! Are they big enough??? Maybe you meant 6 months? My laying hens are BARELY starting to lay at 7 months.

Beth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by