Cochin Bantam Gender

JetCat

Songster
Oct 26, 2015
Southeast Alabama
Splash Cochin bantam, Hatch date of 07 October 2015 so..........25 weeks old, don't be fooled
tongue2.gif

are you 100% positive?  :D

Yeah, I think I am. At 25 weeks if it was a cockerel, it would certainly be a cockerel. Your picture shows that all the feathers are rounded and she has the body shape of a pullet. And relatively small wattles. On the other hand, her comb and wattles look nice and red, so you should be expecting eggs soon!

Yeah, I think I am. At 25 weeks if it was a cockerel, it would certainly be a cockerel. Your picture shows that all the feathers are rounded and she has the body shape of a pullet. And relatively small wattles. On the other hand, her comb and wattles look nice and red, so you should be expecting eggs soon!

and if it crowed?

Well I mean sometimes hens can crow. But I could be wrong. Did it crow? If yes then maybe post some more pictures?
2 weeks ago it had minimal comb and hardly any wattles to speak of and due to the feathering in the neck and tail i've always assumed it a hen, then all a sudden the comb and wattles just explode with growth, it's 'mounted' a few of the hens and has crowed, but it also lays eggs.

Comb and wattle growth and redness happens when a pullet comes to point of lay. Mounting is sometimes a show of dominance rather than actual mating. Does the hen seem like the ruler of the roost? Or maybe a challenger?

Comb and wattle growth and redness happens when a pullet comes to point of lay. Mounting is sometimes a show of dominance rather than actual mating. Does the hen seem like the ruler of the roost? Or maybe a challenger?

i've got about 50 of the Cochin bantams in BBS, Buff, and Red, never had a hen grow that much comb and wattle period, much less in such a short amount of time. she's neither a ruler or challenger, she's pretty laid back (as are the majority of them). several of the roosters from the same parents started crowing at 5-6 weeks old, guess this ole girl just had a late bloom and then she gave it 110%!!

vimeo_logo.png

Back
Top Bottom