1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin Bantam history help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantamLover21, Oct 2, 2013.

1. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would like to know a few things about the Cochin Bantam's history, including where it originated, what it was first called, how and when it came to the United States, etc. I've been searching the Internet, but have only been able to find information on the large-fowl Cochin. So, any information from Cochin Bantam breeders or other knowledgeable people would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Do you consider the pekin as the cochin like they seem to do in the UK?

3. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, kind of... I've read that the Pekin is actually its own separate breed of chicken, though "Pekin" is also another name for the Cochin Bantam. I'm not sure how different the history of the real Pekin Bantam is as compared to the history of the so-called Pekin bantam which is really a Cochin bantam.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been wondering the same thing for a while I would be interested by what the other BYCers say.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  5. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Yeah, I mean every source talks about how large-fowl Cochins came from China and how they started the fancy poultry craze, but there is almost no information about the Cochin's bantam counterpart. Hopefully someone knows.

6. BantamSlave02

BantamSlave02 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2015
    Northern California
    Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I have Cochin Bantams that I want to show in 4-H and need to know their history.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by