Cochin Bantam question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shellybean40, Jul 26, 2010.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    My black cochin bantam hen has just started laying. She is 20 weeks old, and we also have a pair of 20 week old buff cochin bantams.(not yet laying). The eggs are so small, will they get any bigger?? I did not really want bantams when we picked these chicks out at TSC, but they were in a mismarked bin. Now, of course, we are in love with these little cuties. They are such loves!! Also, how good of layers are they?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They're good layers- but the eggs are tiny. They also make the cutest little broody machines. You can't help but love them- they have such nice personalities too.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Those are pullet eggs and they will probably double in size by the time the girls are in full throttle. My two year old hens lay eggs that would be considered "small" in the grocery store. Next to my rosecomb eggs, they look GINORMOUS [​IMG]

Bantams are so efficient because their intake to outtake (sp?) ratio is better than a standard chicken. They eat less than half as much, take up less than half as much space but still produce an egg that is a more than half the size of a standard egg... now, if you could just get a bantam to lay every day like a production... ain't gonna happen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by