Cochin bantam roo attacking (spuring) standard hens? Also roosting ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elieugene6, Sep 20, 2010.

1. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    This cannot be a normal bantam roo behavior, right? He doesn't attack his 2 ladies but apparently the full size hens and pullets and roo but the roo can take care of himself, are threats to him. He definitely is not trying to mount them he jumps at them even my biggest hen runs and she is not a docile hen. He has no spurs to speak of so far but they will develop soon I am sure. Unfortunately my comet roo is very docile and doesn't put him in his place unless he goes directly after him. Is this something he will grow out of? They are just being introduced and I was worrying about roo fights but my comet just stays away from him and has no interest in fighting unless the cochin starts it. Any ideas? If I catch him attacking them I do chase him and then carry him around for awhile. They are free range all day and have lots of area in the hen house as it is made to house around 100 chickens, I only have like 17.

As for roosting, will the 2 Cochin bantams and polish bantam ever learn to roost? I can't even get the bantam cochin hen to hop a foot off the ground to go into their cage or out into the enclosed yard. The roo and polish will go in and out of the enclosed yard but just seem to not want to fly up to roost. I will leave them out until dark and then end up having to put in cage and close it. The geese would pick on them if I let them sleep on the ground. (Mean nasty geese, but they seem to keep the coons and possums and everything else away, so I deal with them) Is it normal for cochins to be grounded so to speak? I have always thought that bantam chickens were pretty good fliers the ones we had as a kid always roosted in the rafters.

I think that if the other two would roost the polish would as she does like to fly up occasionally she will sit on my shoulder. Never wanted one as I thought they were ugly but she is such a sweety that now I want a barn full.

2. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    It sounds to me like he is trying to take pecking order over them and might eventually be accepted let alone might try to mount them. My little BBR has done the same thing with my standards and other bantam hens but, my big roos go after him. And Im just 5 months into chickens so I could be wrong.

3. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    I have researched so much for chickens in which has helped tremendously since mine are all free range outside of a few bantams. I'm still training my 5 big roos at this point, we work on something new every couple of weeks and continually reinforce what I had already taught them with hopes that they can remember everything. They are smarter than given credit for, I've learned this via internet researches also and can be just as sweet as hens but training must occur first.

4. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I had two banty cochin roosters. At just a few weeks old one started attacking me. I only kept that rooster for about 3 months, it was nasty mean. I kept the other banty rooster, the nice one. He is now around three years old. He has never roosted with my standard chickens, he sleeps beside the pot bellied pigs at night. He does not mess with the other chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by