Cochin Bantam Roo w/ three other breed hens: what'll they be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tippyman, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Tippyman

Tippyman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    I have a Mottled Cochin Bantam rooster who looks like this:

[​IMG]

I've just recently started seeing the fertile bulls-eye in my eggs when I crack em open for breakfast. That's kinda making me want to try incubating some eggs and seeing what comes out.

My hens are:
    2) Barred Rocks
    2) Rhode Island Reds
    2) Easter Eggers
    1) Red Star

What would these combo's make? Would they all be in between bantam and full sized? Do the E.E. and feathered feet gene's carry over?

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    The feather legs should carry over pretty well. There is also a chance of the blue egg gene carrying over. And for some basic color outcomes use this http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#plugincalculator It probably wont be 100% correct, especially with the unknown parentage of the EE, but it should give a rough idea of what you can get.

3. Tippyman

Aug 31, 2014
    Should be an interesting bunch then! Any idea about the size? Is it just a mix of "small+large=medium?"

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think you generally get medium sized birds, in between bantam and full.

The barred rock's chicks should be sex links. Males black with white spots on the head, females solid black.

What would your plan be for the cockerels you hatch out?

5. Tippyman

Aug 31, 2014
    I probably won't be keeping hens or roos. A buddy's flock got wiped out so I'm just going to give them all to him. This is just an experimental kinda thing. Just want to give it a try, really.

If we become attached, we may keep a hen or two in the future, but it's just nice to know I can supply my own chickens!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. Tippyman

Aug 31, 2014
    Ordered a Brinsea Mini Advance and a brooder! Guess we'll see what comes out the oven. The Easter Eggers haven't laid in over a month (everyone's molting) so the only eggs I think I'm getting are from my one laying BR at the moment. (Happened to catch her in the box yesterday.)

I guess that makes it easy to sex them.

8. Tippyman

Aug 31, 2014
    Long time since an update, but the little guy wasn't getting the target, so to speak. He tries his damndest though and finally got a lucky shot! I noticed a definite bullseye (must have been imagining it before) and threw three eggs that looked like the one I cracked open, and four random others. The four random ones proved to be infertile, but the three identical eggs are all well developed and 7 days away from hatching!

They are eggs from either the RIRs or the BRs, don't know which it is. Will it be easy to tell once they're hatched?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  9. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    If its from the barred rocks, then if a male chick hatches it will have a white spot on the back of its head, females will be plain black.

If its from the RIR, then all the chicks will be black.

So you can only tell which one if a one with a headspot hatches. Then its the barred rocks, but if it them, and only females hatches, you can't tell.

10. Tippyman

Aug 31, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One chick is almost out and two others have pipped. Will probably have a chick or two when I get home from work.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by