1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin Bantams, probably too young to tell.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jam8961, May 3, 2016.

1. jam8961

jam8961 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    Colorado
    My second set of chicks, i decided to go with cochin bantams. They're oh so adorable, but out of the 5 i got, 4 were from the same hatch. They're a bit camera shy, so i took them from the brooder and put them in a box for pictures, but they wont even let me see their feet, let alone take a picture. Theyre quite the rambunctious little girls/guys. I am afraid though, that at least 3 out of the 5 are roos. (the other has no feathers yet, and is only a 5 days old) Thoughts?

All 4
    [​IMG]

Buttercup
    [​IMG]

Shadow
    [​IMG]

Shade
    [​IMG]

Skittles
    [​IMG]

2. JaeG

JaeG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I've hatched a few cochin bantams (called Pekins where I live) recently and the braver ones were always boys. The girls tended to stick close to their Mum (I hatched under broodies). Feather development doesn't mean a thing unless that particular strain has been bred that way. By 3 weeks old you may be able to see slightly larger combs on the boys and at 5 weeks old the boys will be growing red wattles and have reddish combs. They are gorgeous things. Looks like you have a frizzle there too (they are super cute).

3. jam8961

jam8961 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    Colorado
    Awe! I hope my favorite isnt a roo lol! The youngest is my favorite, I named her/him pecker because she's constantly pecking at me, but mostly because of the fabulous markings on her back lol but every time i go to the brooder, I'll call for her and she'll come right to the front, jump in my hand and start pecking me like crazy. She's/he's the 5 day old. And also YAY! The woman I got them from has frizzles and bantams. She didn't say who the parents were, but all her birds are gorgeous, so now i REALLY hope the frizzle is a girl! Im assuming you mean buttercup? Either way, i love them. If we weren't in city limits, I'd even keep whichever ones turn out to be roos!
    [​IMG]

4. JaeG

JaeG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I know what you mean. We are in the same boat with only being able to keep girls. We currently have 2 boys almost 5 weeks old and they are just so gorgeous. One of them especially I knew was a boy right from the start because he is fearless. Thankfully the breeder I got my eggs from will take back boys. Out of 14 chicks (we've hatched a few batches) we have 4 girls! Enjoy your little cuties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by