Cochin - boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenesis536, Mar 9, 2011.

1. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    This GLC is 5 weeks old. The comb isn't very big and no pink at all, but the wattles are turning pink now. I read that isn't always an indicator of a roo with cochins, so I'm holding out hope it's a "she" since it's my only cochin.

Boy or girl?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    jugeing by the colors you have a pullet the roos would be showing more red across the sholders and chest and wings so my vote is PULLET

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I'm going to vote boy. Just slow developing. I had a couple red cochins that took lots longer than the rest of the boys to end up looking like boys.

4. jenesis536

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Anyone else? I am hearing a mix of answers from various people, so I know I need to just wait a bit. But if he is a roo, I have to rehome him.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Im going with girl

6. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    I vote girl had a girl look exactly like that at that age..

7. Crumbling Beauty

Crumbling Beauty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I say you have a girl. I'm far from an expert, but I think there are gestural differences [​IMG].

8. jenesis536

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I really hope so! I would hate to have to get rid of her. She's so sweet. She is in a brooder with 8 other birds right now that are 1-2 weeks old. She is the youngest, and I'm pretty sure 1 that is a week older is a boy, and 2 that are 2 weeks older are boys, so that might make "her" posture not so "roo", but I hope that's not it.

9. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Im getting a pullet vibe from this one. The coloration is more pullet than rooster at this point and its face is softer. It could be one of those roosters that are slower and look like a pullet for a couple months though. That has happened now and then with my chickens. But I hope that it is a pullet since you want it to be. and I have found that the slower developing roosters are never quite "right" when fully grown and low in the pecking order.

10. San

San Chillin' With My Peeps

Girl I say, she looks like the Cochin chick I used to have [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by