Cochin Breeders or other fluffy breeds (update)

luvzmybabz

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
I have heard that you may have to trim your cochins vent feathers for good fertility. I have 2 roosters one protector and one breeder this is the pecking order I think they have decided on and each has his favorite girls he hangs out with. The Cockerel that I have seen breeding anything he can get to has a pretty fluffy vent area I am wanting to hatch a few (more then a few but I can only say a few around hubby) and do not want to have to have a fertility problem and them do it so how many trim? and how the heck do you do it pluck or cut? and how big an area?

OK I only have 2 cochin roos right now and I have seen one of them breed everything he can get at and the other one mates a chosen few ( I guess he has more taste) I have put a few eggs in the incubator to test thought everything was going well and nodda so I am needing to know how to trim their vents. Do I pluck or cut? Any help appreciated.

Kasi

Last edited:
My roos don't seem to have any problems with the girls. We get lots of fertilized eggs. I don't think I've had one that wasn't a bullseye fertilized one since about two weeks after the girls started laying.

What can I say, maybe I should have named them Casanova and Romeo instead of Hugo and Caesar.

PLease help stud muffin and Pepper are going to get a complex if I have the not doing their job talk again.

Kasi

"If you are trimming (or plucking), do the females above and around the vent and the males below and around the vent. The fluff tends to get in the way of them making successful contact. I AI, so I just pluck a few feathers to get the out of the way. This lets you show later in the spring if you want to."

My cochins are so fluffy I have to.

Jen

Back
Top Bottom