Cochin Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SamanthaBrooke, Jan 19, 2013.

1. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Hi there,
    I finally found a Cochin roo for my Buff Frizzle Ginger, he is a blue splash, I know their colors don't really match but he was all I could find locally, even though he was still an hour away from home.

When I got there this Bantam Cochin roo is not so Bantam LOL, at least I don't think so and if he is he is a large bantam, none the less I bought him because I didn't want to waste the trip and he is quite beautiful, his family was very kind and nice as well.

My question is, is it safe for him to mate my bantam cochins? He won't hurt them will he?

I will post a photo soon, its on my phone that is charging.

Thank you for looking and opinions!

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    not sure what kind of rooster you got, but as long he is not very aggressive he will be fine for breeding.

3. SamanthaBrooke

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    He is a standard Cochin, he seems very gentle and I watched them for a long while, he seems calm and respectful.

4. SamanthaBrooke

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    [​IMG]

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    He doesn't look all that big to me, I'd say he's a bantam and should be just fine breeding your girls. I had standards, and my rooster was quite a bit bigger than my ladies. I don't imagine the little guys are much different. I have a small flock of Silkies now, and my boy (while not huge) is noticeably larger than the females. He's beautiful, enjoy him!
    Nikki

6. SamanthaBrooke

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Thank you, I feel better now. I have never seen standards in person so I had no idea really.

He is pretty good looking, we'll see if he kicks the hens into laying mode. [​IMG]

7. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    He is beautiful ! He doesn't look like a "Giant! "

1 person likes this.
  8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Standard Cochin roo weighed 13lbs, he was HUGE. Definitely no mistaking him for a bantam! :gig Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by