Cochin breeding

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlechick2000, Jul 6, 2016.

1. littlechick2000

littlechick2000 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    i have two frizzled Cochins, two regular Cochins, and one Cochin who was supposed to be frizzled but the trait didn't pass on. I want to breed some of them, definitely the frizzled Cochins, but I want to know the chances of breeding a regular Cochin with a frizzled Cochin to get a frizzled Cochin because I have a blue Cochin and two black Cochins that Id like to try and get frizzles from for their color. How will the Cochin the was supposed to drizzle turn out with breeding? If anyone can answer these questions Id love the help. I have until next spring so it's no rush!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You should not breed two frizzles together because if the chick inherits two copies of the frizzle gene, it will have a lot of feather problems, such as feathers that are brittle and easily break, among other things. You should only breed a frizzled bird to another bird that is not frizzled.

Frizzle is a dominant trait, so any chick that inherits it will be frizzled. When breeding frizzled to non frizzled, half the offspring will be frizzled and half will be smooth.

The one that you got that came from frizzled breeding but is smooth does not have the frizzle gene, so with a smooth partner it will produce only smooth offspring, and with a frizzled partner it will produce the usual half frizzled half smooth offspring ratio.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  3. littlechick2000

littlechick2000 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the help! I'm glad I didn't try breeding my frizzle hen. I might try her with my polish and see how that turns out. I know it's probably not the best idea to breed a polish and Cochin but I'm curious even though the offspring will turn out a mutt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by