cochin breeding

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dixiechick, Jul 19, 2008.

1. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Who has had success with fertile eggs from cochins? Do you have to pluck them in order to secure good contact?

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:uhuh, yep, that is what I heard anyways. I have the bantam cochin and I wonder if I have to time them up. I don't believe she mentioned plucking (Frozen Feathers), but I had canary's like that ...another topic, story that most don't want to know! LOL...such happy lil birds..hee hee

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Then my next question is: If you do have pluck them, how long does it take to grow out (to be ready for show?)

The things we do to have grand-chicks![​IMG]

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    You can artificially inseminate them which is a relatively straight forward procedure and not too hard. If you want directions PM me and I will gret them to you. Then you dont have to pluck them. It would take quite a while for the feathers to grow back...I am thinking at LEAST 2 months or more. You can cut the feathers with a scissors too, but then you have to wait for them to molt.

I like AI myself. [​IMG]

5. chikkinlittlesc

chikkinlittlesc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    South Carolina
    I use ponytail holders like you use in your hair and pull the feathers up around the vent in the pony tail holder. It works pretty well. Or you can take a crack at artificial insemination. It usually takes 6 to 8 weeks for the feathers to grow back if you pluck them.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My guys and gals had no problems this past spring. They were so fully feathered I thought perhaps we wouldn't get anything but we did! I didn't care if we did or not and that is probably why we did. It seems the more you want something the harder it is to obtain.[​IMG]

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    The better the Cochin the fuller the feather and the poorer the fertility. Most Cochin breeders I know artificially inseminate.
    I bought some very nice Black Cochin bantams a few years ago & had very little luck with natural fertility-tries cutting the feather around the vent & fertility improved but that meant those birds couldn't be shown for months.
    The only option left seemed to be AI so I gave the Cochins away. I really didn't want to be that intimately involved with my chickens.[​IMG]

8. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I completely agree with NYREDS! lol we had the same issue, very nice cochins but no luck with natural breeding and I too did not want to get that familiar with my chooks! [​IMG]

9. zschatzman

zschatzman New Egg

Jul 29, 2008
    Our Cochin Bantams breed like crazy, we have a good rooster though. They have hatched three times this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by