1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin - but what kind?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Katz5617, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Katz5617

Katz5617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I bought her as a Cochin, but I have no idea what kind. Could she have something else mixed in - her feet don't look nearly as feathery as some I saw. Her feathers on her feet were sparse when I got her and on one leg it seems like the feathers are only on the outside of the leg. The pictures aren't really that great but her feathers have an almost iridescent jeweltone hue - maybe greenish - but she is completely black - just when the light shines it has that iredescent hue. I just call her a black cochin - but from the photos can anyone tell me what breed she is or what she may be mixed with or is she just simply a black cochin. I've looked at pictures of Australorps and that's what her feathers remind me of - the jeweltones I see in the light - but her feet don't seem as feathery.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    My black bantam cochin has the green sheen to the feathers as well. It is from the oils they spread on the feathers from the oil gland.
    Some cochins will have better foot feathering than others. It could be she is mixed with an aussie or that she is just hatchery quality.

The sheen shows up very well on cayuga ducks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayuga_duck

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like a hatchery quality Black Cochin to me. The fact that her legs aren't very heavily feathered simply means she isn't the best show quality. All black birds have some degree of greenish sheen.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Agreed.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like hatchery quality to me.

I started with pretty nice quality bantam cochins years ago. I've hatched out birds with hardly any feathers on their legs over the years, despite the fact feathered legs are dominant. It's just something you'd cull for if you were a serious breeder, but not a problem in a backyard flock.

8. Katz5617

Katz5617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Thank yall! I knew she was black and a cochin - but then kept seeing such heavy feathers on others legs and wondered if she was a mix of something. No show intentions here - they are all just pets. We've just been enjoying watching them. They're sweet little girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by