Cochin chick coloring

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Frizzlett98, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I have six Cochin chicks I got from Ideal Poultry. I have 1 white, 1 black, 1 buff, and 3 I'm not sure. I think the black and yellow ones are mottled but some of their color patterns are resembling some Barred qualities. I also have a red-ish yellow Cochin that I assumed was buff because it looked exactly like the buff chick a week ago, but is now showing darker feathers at the tip of its wings. So I'm thinking Mille Fleur but I don't know. Any opinions are appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    This is the most recent photo I have of the white one.
    [​IMG]
    The black one
    [​IMG]
    My photogenic buff
    [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of all of them. The red-ish one that I think may be a Mille Fleur is on the right. She doesn't have her darker feathers in this picture though. I took it a few days ago and she's gotten a lot more feathers since. All my chicks have went to sleep under their heater so I'll get more pictures in the morning.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The reddish ones are probably red, the other two are probably mottled. They are all adorable.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Too young - wait till 8 weeks or so, when they are fully feathered out, and their color will reveal itself. Cochins can be just about any color - barred, penciled etc. So many great choices in one breed.

4. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Well here are some updated pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are 3 different chicks. The first and last I thought were mottled but they are actually grayish with very little white.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Could be a blue or a blue mottled. Sometimes the first wing feathers aren't always the end coloring, especially on red birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by