Cochin Chick Eye Problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nate19, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Nate19

Nate19 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2015
    Ohio
    I have a few day old Cochin chick that seems to have an.. eye problem?

This is my first flock so I'm unaware if this is normal or not.

This Cochin is in with Rhode Islands, Barred Rocks, Wyandottess and Buff Orpingtons - all of which seem to have their eyes wide open without difficulty. The Cochin's eye does not have any swelling or noticeable drainage. She does open it from time to time but most of the time it is shut like you see in the picture(s).

Anyone with any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Probably an injury as long as it's only one; try a warm water rinse, and watch. May need eye meds if it doesn't heal right up. Welcome, Mary

3. Nate19

Feb 1, 2015
    Ohio
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll rinse it and keep an eye on it (Ha!).

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How is your baby doing today? Hopefully better, she's adorable. I love Cochins :)

5. Nate19

Feb 1, 2015
    Ohio
    Thanks for asking! She is still holding her eye shut but it doesn't seem to be bothering her. She seems to still be eating and drinking ok, as well as interacting with the flock.

6. Nate19

Feb 1, 2015
    Ohio
    She is now keeping her eye open most of the time. It doesn't look infected or bothersome for any reason. Maybe it was just too bright for her or she didn't like looking at my ugly mug!

7. mego21

mego21 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2015
    Was this problem completely resolved for you? I have 3 buff orpington chicks, 4 pekin ducklings and 3 black chochin chicks. 2 of my black Cochins seem to be having eye problems: 1 of them is only holding 1 eye shut (which looks very swollen and sore) but her other eye is completely clear and fine. The other Cochin is holding BOTH eyes shut and they seem to be slightly swollen. They are still eating fine and do not seem lethargic.

8. GloryBe

GloryBe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    I am thinking outside the box...I had gone on vaca an left my chicks with my daughter.
    I came back everyone was fine. But coop needed some cleaning nothing odd.n Mind you I use a plastic hanging feeder
    it has plastic dividers attached to it and I never had problem befoe.

So when I got home I lefted it up a bit and with in a week They had eye issues. 2,weeks later and spending a lot of time watching them and
    thinking night and day about them that it has dawned on me this could have been this feeder and
    why 4 of my chicks out of 16 have eye problem , maybe their eye scrapes on the deviders?

I lowered the feeder today and I was giving antibiodics in the water and putting eye ointment in their eyes I will continues that but I an also running out to get a galventzed feeder without deviders.

Also just a note only 1 eye had an issue and antibiodic and eye ointment really did nothing to help.
    I will post with progress in a week. Just wanted to pass the thought along just incase someonecuses a feeder like that

9. Nate19

Feb 1, 2015
    Ohio
    My Cochins eye problem resolved on its own. I did try wiping it once or twice with a clean and warm wet towel, which didn't seem to make it any better or worse. After several days to a week after she was born she gradually held her eye open more on her own. She's now ~17'ish weeks. Happy, healthy, and at the top of the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by