Cochin Chick Feathering Question ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tractoraholic, Sep 19, 2011.

1. tractoraholic

tractoraholic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Maine
    Hi All,

Maybe some of you Cochin owners can help me. I just recieved my new chicks two weeks ago in the mail. I got two Buff Orpingtons, two Light Brahmas and two Partridge Cochins and one plain Partridge Chicken chick. All the chicks except the two Cochins seem to be feathering out pretty good even the Partridge chick. The cochins have some primary and secondary feathers their wings and some of their feet feathers are coming in and for the most part they are still pretty fuzzy compaired to my other chicks. Do they feather more slowly than other breeds, is that normal for two weeks old? It appears they are both feathering at the same rate
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Justin

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Cochins are very slow maturing, it is normal for them to feather slowly. They will also be one of the last to crow and lay. [​IMG] Enjoy!

3. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    My cochin roo was very slow feathering. He is lovely now at 7 months old. I cant believe he isnt fully grown yet as he is HUGE!

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have two who hatched three weeks ago -- from shipped eggs, so they do not have the same parents. One chick is feathering out beautifully and the other has feathers on HER (please,please,please) wings and feet only. Every day I ask her if she is ever going to grow any more feathers. Every day she ignores me...

BTW -- Pretty Chicks!!!

Jenny

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by